Applications to the Creative Arts Excellence Program 2020 are closed, please email the Enrolment officer Excellence Enrolments Officer or phone 07 5525 9418 for more information.
In the Creative Arts Excellence (CAX) Program at PBC we nurture and encourage students to develop artistically in a high performance culture but most importantly be well rounded. We understand that communities, governments and businesses, require creative, innovative, proficient and cultured young people in this ever changing world we live in. We ensure students develop and explore their ideas of value, and we foster their growth mindset and encourage self-expression. We strive to launch cutting-edge and courageous artists.
The Program sharpens the creative talents of artistic students through mentoring, practise and specialised training. Provides a platform for students to broaden their skills by working collaboratively with other students, industry artists, teachers and guest professionals.
The opportunities and experiences offered to CAX students are framed around the three A’s: Ambition, Artistry and Academia.
Head to the bottom of this page to view our PBC Creative Arts Excellence video!
Extension of core Arts curriculum
Students in the Program will be granted opportunities to be challenged beyond the core Arts curriculum. Such opportunities may include:
- Specialised skills training
- Arts showcases
- Class, small group and independent Arts projects
- Exposure to and utilisation of specialised Arts resources and facilities
- Collaboration with students from other Creative Arts fields
Targeted post-secondary pathways
Embedded within the curriculum is a focus on identifying and exploring Arts Industry pathways. Arts pathways studied may include:
- Tertiary institutions and requisites
- Work placements
- Supplementary qualifications
- Training academies
- Portfolio development
- Audition/interview skills
Underpinning its development of gifted and talented Arts students are the unique elements offered within the Program. These elements may include:
- Industry standard facilities and resources
- Fostering and exhibiting of original works
- Tracking of student development for success
- Arts industry partnerships
- Opportunities for and advocating of community service
- Range and scope of performance opportunities
- Dedicated program staff
- Academic rigour and support
Staff focus on delivering a program that strives for Ambition, Artistry and Academia through quality teaching and learning. The staff are selected based on the four dimensions:
- Core Curriculum Extension
- Targeted Post-Secondary Pathways
- Curriculum Pathway Experiences
- Unique Program Elements
Teachers in the CAX Program are leading practitioners who together bring a wealth of national and international arts experience and training to the program.
Curriculum and pathway experiences
Training in the CAX Program is complimented by a number of Arts industry experiences available to students. Such experiences may include:
- Workshops delivered by practising artists
- Exposure to and appreciation of industry standard Arts works
- Skills and pathway training offered by industry professionals
- Partnerships with Arts companies, identities and training organisations
- Master classes with touring artists and productions
- Support from notable Creative Arts alumni
Applications for 2020 are open, please email the Enrolment officer Excellence Enrolments Officer or phone 07 5525 9418 for more information.
Selective Entry @ PBC - Creative Arts Excellence ~ Year 7
Entry to this program is via 'Selective Entry @ PBC' and is competitive. Students are selected according to criteria determined by the school. For Dance, auditions are held in April each year for those that get their applications in early. For Music, a video audition and supporting documentation is requested with the application submission. There is an information evening held in February each year.
Students recommended to the school for Excellence program entry also need to:
- Demonstrate commitment to school studies
- Have a satisfactory record of school conduct
Students who are successful in the auditions will be offered a position in the Program via a letter home.
Selective Entry @ PBC - Creative Arts Excellence ~ Yrs 8-12, 2020
Drama Excellence (Now offered to students in Years 9-12)
Visual Arts Excellence (Now offered to students in Years 8-10)
Applications for the above are under Enrolment Documents above.
A fee, additional to the textbook and equipment hire charge, is payable upon acceptance into the program and in each subsequent year that the student is part of the program. These funds are used to provide additional resources and enhancement exclusively for students within the program. Such funds provide greater curriculum resources, exclusive visits from guest speakers, and specialised training for teachers.
For further information please contact the Excellence Enrolments Officer or phone 07 5525 9418.